Crime Alert: Sexual Assault
On Monday, September 8th, 2014, at approximately 11:40 p.m., a female student reported to ASU Police that she was sexually assaulted on Friday, August 29, 2014, around 1p.m. by an unknown male. The assault occurred in a wooded area near the tennis courts behind the athletic complex on the North West side of campus. ASU Police are continuing to investigate the incident.
The suspect is described as a white male in his mid- 20’s, 6 feet tall, weighing approximately 200 pounds, with light brown hair and green eyes. The suspect reportedly had a buzz style haircut, scruffy beard and sleeve tattoos on both his left and right upper arms down to his elbows.
If you have information about this or any other crime, contact the ASU Police Department at 828-262-2150 or Crime Stoppers at 828-268-6959. If your information leads to an arrest, you may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000.
Crime information can also be reported anonymously at: http://police.appstate.edu/crime-tip-submission-form
Tips on being SAFE:
- Whenever possible try to avoid walking alone in wooded or poorly lighted areas.
- Be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts. If you don’t feel comfortable in a situation, leave.
- Do not hesitate to call Police if you feel you are in an uncomfortable situation.
- Call University Police at 262-8000 anytime you see a suspicious person on campus.
- Visit Appcares.appstate.edu for more safety information.